birding-aus

Cormorant Behaviour Underwater 15/4/00

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Cormorant Behaviour Underwater 15/4/00
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:32:40 +1000
Yesterday I observed two Great Cormorants in the water at Haslam?s Creek (near
Parramatta River, Homebush Bay, about 15 km NW
of Sydney GPO).  The water was fairly clear so I was able to watch them as they
ducked underwater to feed.
The two birds often swam together, with the second bird directly behind the
first in a line, and about 2 feet back.
Presumably this was so that, if the first bird chased a fish and missed it, the
second bird could get it.
They were beautifully co-ordinated when swimming underwater:  even when the
first bird curved left and right, and second
would follow.
As this is near the Olympics site, perhaps they should enter the Synchronised
Swimming!

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"