birding-aus

UK Birding ( more on the clout of birds, or bird power )

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: UK Birding ( more on the clout of birds, or bird power )
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
John Saul <> wrote:
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:43:56 GMT Daylight Time
To: <>
From: "John Saul" <>
Subject: Birding

Hello John,

I am writing in response to your enquiry re: amount
spent on birding in the UK. Your question is certainly
a far-reaching one, and one that I'm sure I am not
fully equipped to answer. I can tell you that in 1999
the RSPB spent £26 million ( about $65 million
Australian dollars ) on conservation, but I fear that
is not the kind of information you require.

Your question becomes far more complicated when
relating it to the revenue generated in the UK by the
ripple effect of Birding. The RSPB does not
investigate the amount of money being spent on bird
related items, but we are looking at how much
birds/wildlife/reserve attract tourism to certain
areas and the knock on effect that has for the
creation of jobs/ business etc.
However, this information is still being collected/
processed and only applies to a small area of the UK
at present.

I appreciate that this information may be of little
use to you but I'm afraid I don't have access to the
information you need. Any questions relating to the
RSPB's income or expenditure I shall try and answer,
however, I am not in a position to answer a question
as large as this one.

If you do have any further questions please do e-mail
me, and I'll see what I can do.

Kind Regards,
John Saul