birding-aus

conservation lands

To: Bill Stent <>
Subject: conservation lands
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:35:07 +1000
I am in total agreement with this, and would happily pay my share.  However my
(rather off the birding topic!) comment is that the politics/taxation nexus in
Australia does not work in a way to make such a proposal realistic.  Levies
like Medicare and the Gun Levy came about without specific questioning of the
electorate because the Governments of the day perceived them as being in their
interest.  Conservation issues are not in the same league when it comes to
Government interest.  It sounds cynical, but in the last twenty years
successive Australian Governments have found that cutting taxes is the surest
way to re-win office ? which naturally remains the highest priority in all
their policies.  More recently we have even seen that they perceive advantage
in keeping the majority of the population relatively(!) poor, as clearly
evidenced by the biased tax-cuts offered in compensation for the GST, as well
as by other measures.  This ensures that the majority will vote for a party
that offers them an immediate lifeline of further tax cuts, and cannot afford
to consider the longer-term merits of policies providing societal benefits
arguably greater than the costs in increased taxation.  The results are there
for all to see: a widening gap between the rich and the rest, rapidly declining
health services, plunging quality in education, neglected servicing of National
Parks and the rest.  It is hard to see where the spiral will end.  Any
politician with the idealism to want to see its end certainly has the dice of
the system loaded against him (or her).

But back to birding.
We are off to Newcastle again at the weekend, in pursuit of these hundreds of
self-concealing waders!  Where do I look for White-winged Black Terns?
John Clifton-Everest