birding-aus

Birding in West Java, Indonesia

Subject: Birding in West Java, Indonesia
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:40:56 +1000
While working in Jakarta, Indonesia recently, I spent a weekend at Kebun Raya Cibodas (Botanical Gardens) and the adjoining Gede/Pangrango National Park. I left early on Saturday morning by expensive taxi from my Hotel (about A$50) and about 2 hours later we were at Freddy's Home Stay (recommended in "Birding Indonesia") just outside the Park Entrance. It was raining lightly with quite gusty winds. I checked in to Freddy's and went into the Gardens at about 0845.

I saw no birds except for tree sparrows outside the Gardens for the first 90 minutes. In 4 hours there were a couple of mini-waves and I saw only Pygmy Tit, beautiful Blue Nuthatch Oriental White-eye, Blood-breasted Flowerpecker, Little Pied Flycatcher, Black-winged Flycatcher-shrike and Indigo (or was it Pale Blue) Flycatcher.

It started raining as I walked into the National Park and I gave up when I reached the little Blue Lake. Sheltered from the rain in the open hut, I saw Snowy-browed and Rufous-chested Flycatchers. The former had a moss-covered nest near the hut with a nestling and egg inside.

The following morning it was again windy and raining so that Eddy the guide, Mike from the UK and I left late at about 0620. We tried hard for Sunda Forktail in the usual spots without success. Eventually the enormous number of people crowding into the gardens forced us to call it a day at about 1130. Other birds seen on Sunday were Collared Kingfisher, Great Tit, Grey-breasted White-eye, Ashy Drongo, Long-tailed Shrike, Orange-spotted Bulbul, Mugimaki Flycatcher, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Barn Swallow and of course Cave Swiftlet.

Eddy claimed that the weather kept the birds away and also that the economic crisis in Indonesia had forced more people to trap birds. An Orange-headed Thrush in a cage on the street outside Freddy's said it all. Eddy did say that the best birding was in August.

I travelled by minibuses, normal bus and taxi back to my hotel in Jakarta. I had been warned by Mike to ensure the taxi from the bus station at Kampong Rambutan had a meter. It did but it registered about Rup. 63,000 for what should have been a Rup. 25,000 ride. Be warned.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"