birding-aus

Surveying Birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Surveying Birds
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 200011:14:03 +1000
Hi Birders,

Once again my appreciation goes out to the birding-ausers.  Here is a list
of the references supplied by the knowledgeable people out there in bird
world, with Bibby (1992) being the most often cited reference.

Colin Bibby 1998 Bird Surveys.

Bibby, C.J. et al. (1992).  Bird Census Techniques.  (Academic Press:
London).  ISBN 0-12-095830-9

Stephen Davies 1984 or 83, Methods of Censusing Birds in Australia,

Loyn R.H., 1986, The 20-minute search - a simple method for counting forest
birds Corella 10: 58-60

Hewish, M.J. and Loyn, R.H. Popularity and effectiveness of four survey
methods for monitoring populations of Australian land birds.  RAOU Report
55.

Harry Recher's papers on census and survey of woodland birds in
Aust. Zoologist

Mike Weston (Threatened Bird Network) at Birds Australia has produced a
little manual on survey methods, which focuses on techniques used for the
various projects run by Birds Australia.

As many of you probably know its often the same generous people who reply
to the RFI's sent out and to them I send special thanks for their time.

This time my thanks go to Peter Woodall, Richard Johnson, Richard Lyon,
Koren Mitchell, Lawrie Conole, Rory Poulter, Lainie Berry, Anne Green
(Atriplex) and Dion Hobcroft.

Happy Bird Censusing,

Stuart