birding-aus

Grey Falcon

To: <>
Subject: Grey Falcon
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:49:27 +1100
Hi
Just back from a fantastic but brief trip to Alice Springs. Several
highlights of which I will get to later.

But the absolute highlight for a new bird for me was the Grey Falcon seen
at Emily Gap on our way to the airport on the last day. First impression
was Grey Falcon couldn't be anything else & both my wife & I studied it for
around 20 minutes during which time it was perched, soaring & also calling.
I also video birds & I have some rather crude & fuzzy images but needless
to say it has been studied several times since returning. I have studied
Readers Digest ( the big version ) Pizzey & Knight & Slaters which we had
with us at the time to try & prove that it must have been something else
simply because of its rarity but same conclusion as first impression , Grey
Falcon. I must add that it was an immature bird & I thought briefly about a
pale Nankeen Kestrel but we have these at home & their flight & behaviour
is familiar to me. Also there was absolutely, positively no brown on this
bird , only grey black & white & while searching for prey it soared not
hovered. It spent most of the time perched on a rock 3/4 of the way up the
rock face. In the same gorge we also saw Brown Goshawk & Peregrine Falcon &
like everywhere in Alice at the moment, thousands upon thousands of
Budgerigars.It's hard to hear anything else! Raptors were everywhere & many
birds actively breeding so no doubt heaps of food for every one. Also had
fabulous views of a very handsome Spotted Harrier perched in a low tree
beside the Tanami Road on the way to Kunoth Bore. More details later

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"