birding-aus

pelican sparks and karks!

Subject: pelican sparks and karks!
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:02:10 +1000

 wrote:

> I know that in the UK practices have developed about putting
> markers on power lines near sensitive bird sites. I haven't
> heard about the "impact" of these measures.  Is anything similar
> being tried here ?

Interesting point, Michael. I know that at one 'hot spot', so to speak,
in the Lockyer Valley, west of Brisbane, flags were attached to
powerlines beside a farm dam. I don't know who did the work or whether
it was out of concern for bird welfare, avoiding blackouts, or both.
Does anyone else know of examples elsewhere in Australia?
To be most effective, any warning or deterrent devices would have to
work at night. Many waterbirds travel in darkness. Most of us would know
of, or have heard of, instances of ducks, coots, rails and the like
landing on iron roofs in the night, apparently mistaking them for water.
They make quite a bang when they hit! If a roof can fool the birds, it's
hardly surprising that they sometimes fail to see powerlines.
On the subject of 'fried fauna', a recent blackout here was attributed
to a python that shorted supply. It was 20 metres off the ground, having
apparently climbed a steel tower to get there - very strange!

Richard