birding-aus

Impact of hot weather in Melbourne

To: <>, "Pat O'Malley" <>
Subject: Impact of hot weather in Melbourne
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:59:52 +1100
I totally agree...but what Council is going to allow understorey along
nature strips. The fear is that the undergrowth will get to a height that
will obscure the view of oncoming/passing traffic. As an example, this is
the case in the City Of Whitehorse, yet I don't know if they have a specific
policy on what is the minium height for shrub growth. They take into account
growth, foliage density, root growth (for pipes), etc. At this point in time
I am just more interested in getting the Council to have a TOTAL INDIGENOUS
plant policy, not the 50% exotic, 25% native, 25% indigenous they currently
have. This may sound radical, but I believe if council's are going to ignore
the needs of the environment, but are more interested in 'appeasing' various
groups, I believe we should be protesting on the chamber doorsteps until
there is change, even if that means targeting specific decision makers to
get sacked. My letter to the council about this issue, got the reply I knew
beforehand...'political' lipservice stating that not everyone can be pleased
all the time. I don't give a stuff about being pleased, because it isn't me
they are doing the favour.
Nigel