birding-aus

Apostlebirds - status in Victoria (Aust.)

To: <>
Subject: Apostlebirds - status in Victoria (Aust.)
From: "Anthony Overs" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:03:32 +1100
I believe there have been similar declines in Apostlebird distribution in
NSW to those in Victoria.

Having done a lot of travelling around the south-west slopes for work and
pleasure I can say that there are no Apostlebirds anywhere near the eastern
distribution limit as described by Alan Morris. Heading west or north-west
from Canberra you do not see Apostlebirds until you are well past Harden.
Apostlebirds are seen occasionally as you go further west, closer to Temora.
They are reasonably common around West Wyalong, south to Ardlethan and
Narrandera and west toward Griffith. Apostlebirds are still very common or
abundant out on the plains near Parkes and Peak Hill. The decline of the
Apostlebird seems to be similar to that of the Grey-crowned Babbler on the
south-west slopes, with a gradual creeping down off the slopes to the
plains.

Anthony Overs