birding-aus

Red-backed Kingfisher and others.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Red-backed Kingfisher and others.
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:24:14 +1000
We all know how frustrating it can be when people turn up wanting to see
something specific. On balance, I do enjoy it when they're after something
that is special for them and you can help them to find it, or just when
something that's special for you has turned up and you're able to share it.
But the problem is of course that so often it's there all day, until someone
arrives wanting to see it.

Mixed feelings then when Trevor Ford announced he would be coming to
Abberton on his next visit with some specific ambitions in mind. In short,
and in his words, he requested that we produce all those birds with red (or
plum) in them that I've mentioned on birding-aus lately.

Well, following Trevor's ambitious visit, I'm very happy to report that
about one hour of birding not only produced all five finches  available in
the Lockyer - Double-barred, Zebra, Red-browed, Plum-headed as well as
Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, but also Red-tailed Black Cockatoos and, still
around after nearly a week,  the Red-backed Kingfisher. Regarding the
kingfisher, Terry Pacey rang me back at the end of December to say that he
thought he might have seen one in the very same area, within a couple of
hundred metres of the current bird's patch, but no-one else could turn it up
at the time. Maybe this bird has been around for a couple of months...

So, Trevor has gone away sated, which makes up for all the times we have to
say to people "You should have been here yesterday". Now let's hope the red
and plum coloured birds stay around a bit longer and we can share them with
more visiting birders.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056