birding-aus

Watering/Garlic for breakfast

Subject: Watering/Garlic for breakfast
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:48:32 +1000
Jag just told me he's off outside to water his birds, presumably the
unfathomable parroty thing he keeps behind the pot plant.
So I thought, seeing as it's about 38degs outside here I'll go and see what
the local feathers are doing in the heat.
The only ones I could detect straight away were lots of New Holland
Honeyeaters and one or two Purple-crowned Lorikeets feeding in the sugar
gum flowers about 40ft up.
Knowing NH H/Es will often come for a drink I put the watering system on
and almost immediately down came the NH H/Es, a great flock of them all
busily squeaking and chasing one another in the spray. But then I noticed
that some White-Plumed H/Es, which I hadn't seen around for months, also
came down out of nowhere and joined in. Then a couple of Noisy Miners (the
bully boys), and some Blackbirds also got into the act, but these larger
types tried to chase off the smaller H/Es, but not very successfully.
 But the PCLs just stayed way up in the tops of the trees.
Any ideas? How about it Pat?

Tony.
ps: Needless to say I didn't stay outside too long myself!  TBH.
pps: Went out again 15 mins later - at least 20 NHHEs plus Magpie Larks and
Spotted Turtle Doves all "playing" in the spray. And some noisy Musk
Lorikeets have joined the PCLs.
Tony Russell,
  Adelaide, South Australia
  phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
  e-mail:
  There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"