birding-aus

Re[2]: [BIRDING-AUS] Unnatural Heritage Trust

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re[2]: [BIRDING-AUS] Unnatural Heritage Trust
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:34:11 +1100
     Richard,

     It is clear that the introduction of this publication falls into the
     area of "do not let the truth get in the way of a good story". The
     information given in the introduction should have been clear and
     correct. There is no doubt as to the numbers of SPECIES in Australia,
     but the text in the introduction is written in GOV SPEAK where they
     mixed up the terms species and varieties (what ever that may mean).The
     statement that '23 species are presumed extinct' should be challenged
     and have been presented correctly.

     This is not to say that there are a number of species and sub species
     which are in serious decline within Australia.

        Alan Leishman
        Royal Botanic Gardens,
        Mrs Macquaries Road, SYDNEY
        E-mail:
        Phone: (02)9231 8166  Fax: (02)9241 2797