birding-aus

ecotourism

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: ecotourism
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:01:36 +1100
Given that this thread has begun I had better step in with my own plans. I
have just completed a short Peregrine Adventure trip to Sapa on the
Vietnam/China border and walked for three days amidst the Hmong, Thai, etc,
tribal minorities ... It got me thinking and I have started some enquiries.
Now the debate begins here.
My questions are:
1. Which of the ecotourism companies have policies that deal with
environmental and cultural impact on the peoples and areas in which they
operate?
2. Which of them have annual operational plans that advance those policies?
3. Which of them have performance indicators in place that measure the
impact of their operations and the success of their plan: then report on it
in a public, transparent manner?
4. Which of them actually advance resources, be it by donation of staff
time, to help in environmental or cultural projects in those areas?
5. Which of them have labour policies that treat local people as they would
treat their Australian labour force?
Just thinking??????
Anyone out there an expert on this matter? I will send a report to any who
wish as well as receive expert comment with gratitude.
Brian Everingham
Hon Secretary
National Parks Association of NSW
PO Box 269