birding-aus

Red-back Kingfishers

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Red-back Kingfishers
From: "Heather Gibbs" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:33:42 +1100
Hi Chris,

Birds Australia still runs the nest record scheme where data on breeding can
be submitted.

This information is used extensively by researchers both within and outside
Birds Australia, and also for the breeding section of HANZAB. I have written
some of these breeding texts and can say that I have read all comments and
looked at all photos in the NRS that were available for those species - and
I believe it is a valuable resource.

For many birds, even common species, the NRS provides the only or best
information available on breeding season, clutch size, incubation and
nestling periods and behaviour such as distraction displays, co-operative
breeding, nest hygine etc.

For kingfishers specifically, you may find there are some individuals out
there who would also appreciate the data you mention ...

regards
Heather