birding-aus

Expansion of range of feral Rainbow Lorikeets

To: <>
Subject: Expansion of range of feral Rainbow Lorikeets
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:27:19 +0800
Feral Rainbow Lorikeets have previously been restricted to the inner
Metropolitan area of Perth, Western Australia. Until now, the furthest east
that they had spread was to Guildford, 12 km due East of Perth GPO.

Last Saturday, I saw one Rainbow Lorikeet, flying by itself, in Darlington
(22 km due east of Perth, Western Australia). Yesterday, on two occasions,
I saw one Rainbow Lorikeet flying with (but above) a flock of Galahs.
Yesterday afternoon, I saw two RLs flying together. This morning, there
were 20 RLs feeding on the Marri (Eucalyptus calophylla). Jenn Muir tells
me that she first recorded RLs three mornings ago at Boya (19 km due east
of Perth).

My heart has sunk lower than you can imagine.

Feral Rainbow Lorikeets have been in Metropolitan Perth only for about 15
years. The flocks have gradually increased until now it is the most common
bird that you hear in built-up areas with established gardens. It is also
the most numerous bird that can be seen flying in the metro area.

I had hoped that they would remain restricted to inner metropolitan
gardens, staying where there were many Lemon-scented Gums (Eucalytpus
citriodora) and Red-flowered Iron-barks (Eucalyptus leucoxylon rosea). No
such luck.

This year, the Marri trees are coverd with abundant (almost excessive)
blossom. As the Marri has a continuous and extensive range through-out the
south-west of Western Australia, I fear the worst.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"