birding-aus

Birdwatching Tourism

Subject: Birdwatching Tourism
From: Jenny Madeline <>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 21:00:41 +1100
Allan and I called in at the Irish Tourist Board in Carrington Street,
Sydney on Tuesday to start collecting material for a forthcoming trip
(next year actually, but there's nothing like getting prepared early!).

Anyway, we browsed their shelves and then starting asking about some of
our particular interests - which covered birdwatching, wildlife,
historical sites, family history research etc. etc.

One of the illustrated brochures on the open shelves was called "Ireland
Naturally" which has information on Nature in Ireland, The Wild Boglands
of Ireland, Birdwatching in Ireland and Nature Reserves and National
Parks and Forest Parks.  It unfolds to a poster size.  On the inside is
a map of Ireland with a numbered key to 48 sites.  There is a small
paragraph on each site, 28 of which are birdwatching sites in nature
reserves, estuaries, various islands, coastal areas etc.  The colour
illustrations include wonderful photos of puffin, kingfisher, gannet,
corn crake and swan.  There is a list of useful publications and
information on the Irish Wildbird Conservancy as well as a summary of
birdwatching in Ireland by season.  We actually came across this
brochure in 1997 before we made an earlier brief visit to Ireland.

This brochure is published by Bord Failte/Irish Tourist Board.

However, the assistant at the Tourist Board then produced another
illustrated, colour brochure on Northern Ireland called "An Information
Guide to Birdwatching" - from a cabinet.  This provides information
county by county on recommended birdwatching sites and what can be seen
in which season.  There are map references and again there is a map with
key references to the county by county section.  There is information on
a couple of birdwatching tour operators and some B&Bs and other
accommodation that "offer short breaks with birders in mind".

There is even an offer to "send for a free information pack with details
on birdwatching holidays in Northern Ireland or phone and speak to a
birdwatcher who will advise you personally".

The brochure is produced by the Northern Ireland Tourish Board, who
acknowledge a debt to the RSPB for advice with the brochure.  This
brochure was published in 1997.

To get to the point - it seems to me that we may have to go some way in
providing ideas, help and information to our Australian, State and
regional tourism authorities to enable them to produce some publications
along the same lines.  A lot of the necessary information is already
collated on Klaus' web site and of course in books by Bransbury, Thomas
& Thomas, other web sites and regional birdwatching guides.

It could perhaps be a special project partly funded with donations from
some of the tourism operators and clubs under the guidance of Birds
Australia or some appropriate group - working with the tourism agencies.

Jenny Madeline

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"