birding-aus

More on Birdwatching Tourism

Subject: More on Birdwatching Tourism
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:31:26 +0800
Jenny Madeline <> made some excellent suggestions
on birding information for overseas (and interstate) visitors, and listed
the information available for Ireland.

Australia is much larger than Ireland, so any Australian effort would
probably need to be done on a state by state basis.

Western Australia does quite well once you get here, although the overseas
tourism offices are probably unaware of this.  The WA Tourism Commission
has developed a four sided A4 colour brochure on where to watch birds in
Western Australia that was developed with assistance by the Birds Australia
WA Group.

The major assistance available in WA is a series of about 30 to 40 WA
country brochures produced by BAWAG under the management of Allan Jones.
These were funded by private companies and the Gordon Reid Foundation
(about $1,000 per brochure).  These pamphlets are available from the BAWAG
offices near Perry Lakes in Perth
uring office hours (9:30 to 12:30
weekdays).  They are free although a donation is requested to pay for
future reprints I hope to encourage them to publish these brochures on the
web.

Noela Marr has published a book on birding sites in WA.  This is a bit
dated, but most of the information is still current.  The books by
Bransbury, Thomas & Thomas and Michael Morcombe (?? The Great Australian
Birdfinder??) provide more information.

And I have started to put information on my web pages at
http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor but I haven't managed to include mud maps
which is a major drawback.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"