birding-aus

Re: Black Bittern.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Black Bittern.
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:52:36 +1000
Re John Harris and Linda Cross about how and where to see Black Bitterns.

We've got eight records of Black Bittern here over the last couple of years,
usually seen from the verandah in flight along the creek.

One time, a Black Bittern decided to pause for a while in the middle of the
day on a stump in the creek directly in front of the house, giving wonderful
views for just about as long as it takes to get a film in the camera!  But
of course not as long as it takes to then focus and press the shutter!

We've also had the pleasure of having one fly past us while we were relaxing
with a glass on a seat under a creekside callistemon.

John Harris has been here in pursuit of this, his bird-noir, but alas when
you divide say eight sightings up across hundreds of days and many thousands
of hours, it really is just the luck of the draw whether one  happens to be
at the right place, at the right time, and even facing in the right
direction, to be fortunate enough to catch a flypast.

It's always disappointing when you really want someone to drop onto their
special bird and it doesn't happen. But those days are counterbalanced
thankfully with the wonderful pluses that come when a bird you haven't even
dared to hypothesise about just pops unexpectedly into view, poses for a few
seconds, and leaves you talking, discussing and reminiscing about it for
years!

As I'm sure we all agree, when it comes to tracking down those target birds,
there really is just no substitute for putting in the hours.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056