birding-aus

birding-aus Year 1999 highlights

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Year 1999 highlights
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:11:35 +1100
Some of you had some really amazing bird experiences last year, the sea birds of (or even off) the east coast over winter and the dry country birds in inland Vic & NSW were just great.

Over a week ago, I decided I was not going to contribute to this discussion on highlights (especially with a year till the new millennium). I don't what happened. Here goes:

Birding-wise:

1.        Eden pelagic trip on 17-1-1999, a 42nd birthday present. Several new sea-birds for me on one day (the list has already gone on b-a). Remaining entirely well for a day on a boat. Only my second day out on a boat in years. It had been many years since the last time I got a new bird and probably will be again till the next one (not that lists interest me that much). With White-throated Nightjars later that evening.

2.        Finding a Tawny Frogmouth entirely by seeing its shadow on the ground, as it flew over, in half moon light, at Weddin Mountains NP in September. Nothing rare about that, I just thought it was clever. (I then identified it using a spotlight after it perched.) Lots of other good birds there in that short trip.

3.        Being one of the group to add a new species to the ACT bird list (ho-hum) - a Red Knot.

Birding-Social-wise:

4.        COG monthly meetings, probably the best set of meetings around.
5.        Having the Birds Australia Members' Day and AGM in Canberra and meeting other folks from all over.
6.        Numerous conversations on this b-a line (some even amusingly and inappropriately heated).

Work-wise:

7.        Unemployed (poorish, stressed, rejected and busy) for 4 months, then employed (a little less poor, unstressed and still busy) for 8 months.

Other-wise:

8.        Completing the data set for 17 years (1101 observer years of data) from COG's Garden Bird Survey and doing all the work on the analysis of each bird species (216 of them) populations by month and year over that time (plus breeding and all the associated analysis of the survey). Wow, what a monster that became!

9.        All not necessarily in that order, yet I can't ignore: seeing & HEARING Deep Purple in concert in Sydney in May (no birds there though), in Australia for the first time for 15 years.

My tip, (12 months too early) for the birding event of the century: The solar eclipse of 1976.