birding-aus

birding-aus Parrots feeding

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Parrots feeding
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:48:50 +1100
Hello birders,

Re: Chris Tzaros's report on male parrots feeding females, and my own over
Christmas break sightings, during the NSW Field Ornithologists Campout at
Coolah Tops (between Liverpool and Warrumbungle Ranges, NSW) and nothing to
do with adult feeding adult but an interesting sighting), we watched a
female Red-winged parrot feeding her fully grown juvenile by regurgitating
beak to beak, in a stand of Myall along the road after Pandora's Pass (from
Coolah) to the Liverpool Plains, Friday 31st Dec. The parrots were feeding
on the copious mistletoe fruits in the Myall as were Mistletoebirds and
Painted and Spiny-cheeked honeyeaters.  Allan Richards will no doubt file
full report for FOC records. Plum-headed Finches were seen at a dam further
into the patch-work arable lands somewhere in the viciinity of Premer.

On my trip up to Murrunrundi (between Scone and Tamworth, NSW) Christmas
Day, saw a Spotted Harrier 2 kms east of Liddell Power Station, Hunter
Valley, and 11 Spine-tailed Swifts 7 kim south east of Cesnock.

My sister Charlotte D-B saw a pair of Buff-banded Rails with 10 very small
runners cross the road near Blandford, about 8 kms south east of Murrurundi
NSW, 22 December.

A pair of Little Eagles was seen driving down the Turee River valley
between Coolah and Mudgee (more or less) and another pair with a pair of
Wedgies at Windermere Dam (south-west of Mudgee) Sunday 2nd Jan.

Happy New Year to all
Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.

quotes)