birding-aus

birding-aus highlights of 99.

Subject: birding-aus highlights of 99.
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 03:14:11 -0800 (PST)

My best of 1999 are as follows;

1) In January whilst sitting on parkbench outside the
Lourve in Paris an adult Perigrine Falcon  landed in
the garden next
    to me, picked up a mouse and flew off.  I could
have reached out and grabbed it, it was so close.

2)  My first Noisy Pitta at Lamington National Park in
April.

3)  Finding two male Regent Bowerbirds in Glenrock
State Recreation Area near the centre of Newcastle in
May.

4)  Whilst at the beach in Etty Bay QLD in July an
adult male Southern Cassowary strolled along the edge
of the water
      picking up fruit in front of us.

5)  Finding 100+  Metallic Starling at Innisfail Lakes
in July.

6)  3 Papuan Frogmouths at Julaten in July ( a great
day ) and Little Kingfisher at Cairns crocodile farm
was a nice little bird  to see.

7)  Finding Large-tailed Nightjar, Chowchilla and
Saurus Cranes at Lake Tinaroo.

8)  The July Wollongong Pelagic, a very rough day, at
which we surfed home a 5 meter swell.  But worth the
     of Buller's and Northern Royal Albatross.

9)  The arrival of thousands of Waders at Newcastle in
September.

10)  Seeing Buller's Shearwater, Gould's and Black
Petrel on the November Wollongong Pelagic.

11)  Two trips to the Dubbo area in Oct/Dec.  Visiting
Goonoo Goonoo State Forest to see the Malleefowl.

12)  The people I've met on my travels during 1999.
Merry christmas to you all.

Merry Christmas
Richard Baxter
Newcastle