birding-aus

birding-aus Leaden Flycatcher

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Leaden Flycatcher
From: "John Nankervis" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:43:56 +1100
Hi all.

I nicked out this afternoon for a little birding down Little Forest Lane
into Koondrook State Forest about 4 km east of Barham N.S.W.  It was quite
an interesting time.

I observed a male and female Leaden Flycatcher repeatedly dive bombing an
adult Collared Sparrow-hawk high in a Red Gum.  From the various field
guides it would appear that this is about the furthest west the flycatcher
extends.  I have seen them irregularly over the past two months in
basically the same tree but I have not been successful in locating a nest.

Just 50 m away I came across 2 immature Collared Sparrow-hawks who were
flying around from tree to tree calling loudly, I was able to approach them
them within 30m.

Finally I "fluked" finding a Mistletoe Bird's nest hanging some 10 m or so
up amongst the leaves in a Red Gum.  The male bird flew a number of times to
it presumably feeding young.  It all happened so quickly and the vision
between the leaves was not great that I could not be sure.

Have a great day!

John Nankervis
21 Punt Rd
Barham  N.S.W  2732