birding-aus

birding-aus which bird database software

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus which bird database software
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:56:32 +1030
Thanks to all those who responded to my RFI on this subject. The responses were many and various people asked me to pass on what I found. So this email is to summarise what birding-ausers think is the best bird database software:
3 persons are still using ms-dos based dBase because of, among others, its ability to accept memo fields with lots of information
2 persons use Microsoft Access which imports old dBase records OK and offers the flexibility of having control over your own data / structure as opposed to commercial packages, and can be set up to correlate different types of data
1 person is still using old-fashioned paper but is considering WorldBird Plus
1 person is using 'Bird Recorder for Windows' and swears with it (you can attach photos, sounds, etc to each sighting)
A number of people are using BirdInfo and their experiences differ greatly. There is a user group email list being set up on http://www.egroups.com/group/birdinfo-users/info.html
So, I'm still none the wiser - I would like to set up my own Access system but I suspect this is going to take more time than I want it to, so I'll probably end up with BirdInfo or another package.

Cheers

Peter Waanders

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.