birding-aus

birding-aus Bird-friendly Harbour Design

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Bird-friendly Harbour Design
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:28:36 +1100
A local yacht club is planning to replace its outworn wooden
fixed moorings, secured between wooden pylons, with modern
concrete floating pontoons/decks.  This will reduce the number
of pylons and therefore roosting/resting places for seabirds
(cormorants, terns and gulls at this location).  Their planned
wavescreen is at about sea level and will not provide new sites.

I've argued this will both harm birds and  increase the nuisance
to yacht owners.  The yacht club responded by contacting the
engineers about the design of the concrete pylons and today
proposed providing some sort of new artificial structure for
roosting/resting birds.  This might be something like a series
of wooden pylons and connecting ledges within a rocky breakwater
(as used by penguins for nesting a bit further north)..

I was pleased and stunned. What should I suggest ?  I don't
know.  Has anyone ideas ?  Please respond to me and I'll reply
to the list.

(They also satisfied me about the impact on Rakali - Australian
water rats, Hydromys chrysogaster. The URL of Dirk Petzhold's
splendid web pages about his research has changed to
http://www.zoo-ag.de/schwimmr/sr_main.htm )

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife

quotes)