birding-aus

birding-aus red goshawk and sooty owls in NE NSW

Subject: birding-aus red goshawk and sooty owls in NE NSW
From: Anthony Mitchell <>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:25:08 +1100 (EST)
Hello All

on Monday 6th December I saw a red goshawk about 10 km west of Mt Warning
in the far NE corner of NSW.  I had great views for at least 5 minutes
and I am sure it wasn't a juvenile anything or any other raptor.  It was
my second red goshawk, the other one I saw in Qld 1995.

If you are heading that way you may want to keep an eye out for it.

Also on the same trip, we spotlighted a sooty owl with the hindquarters
of a greater glider (Petauroides volans) firmly clamped in its talons.
There were three other sooty owls calling from within 100 metres, so we
suspect it was a pair of adults with 2 dependant young.

cheers
Anthony Mitchell and Jo Chadwick

quotes)