birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Red Wattlebird rare in Sydney?

To: "Andrew Taylor" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Red Wattlebird rare in Sydney?
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:31:41 +1100
This line I heard years ago put by Stephen Ambrose at the Australian Museum.
It is utter rubbish.  The greening of sydney with plants suitable for the
Red Wattlebird is widespread.  Every street has a Grevillia Robyn Gordon,
bottlebrush and some native planting.  It is compulsory by some councils.
The Red Wattlebird call is throughout.  The spreading of the Koel is proof
of the spreading of the Red Wattlebird.

In the coastal areas, Brush Wattlebirds abound.

All large birds are spreading through urban areas.  Currawongs,
Channel-billed Cuckoos, Kookaburras, Rainbow Lorikeets, Red Wattlebirds,
Koels, Noisy Miners, Galahs, Suphur-crested cockatoos, King Parrots.

Some Sydney birders were priviledged to hear Professor Alan Keast give the
Arnold McGill memorial lecture to the NSWFOC last Tuesday night.  He had us
in stitches telling us the trouble he went to in the forties 7 fifties
seeing the above species.

The history of land clearing and replanting with our version of native tree
& plant combinations is in direct correlation with our birdlife changes.

Good birding

Trevor & Annie Quested

Sydney, Australia

quotes)