birding-aus

birding-aus Taman Kinabalu, Sabah

Subject: birding-aus Taman Kinabalu, Sabah
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 21:20:16 +1100
I had a weekend's stay in the park recently. I booked the accommodation from Australia and gave my credit card number over the 'phone. For those not yet in the know, the contact details in Bransbury's "A Birdwatcher's Guide to Malaysia" and on the Web Page for Kinabalu National Park have changed. Booking are now taken by Kinabalu Gold Resorts, Lots 3.46 & 3.47, 3rd Floor, Kompleks Karamunsing, Kota Kinabalu, Tel. 60 88 257 214 or 60 88 257 941. My return trip by Minibus from KK Airport to the mountain cost Ringgit 250 (~A$100). I did not have time to haggle.

I stayed in a two-bed cabin with bathroom which (I think) cost Ringgit 50 per night. It was the rainy season and on the first day it rained from 1445 onwards. On the second day, the cloud closed in completely from about 1430. Nevertheless, the weather was good and cool enough for a jumper in the early morning. I was not silly enough to climb the mountain (4,101 m) from the accommodation area at about 1,560 m.

The birding was better for me than at Bukit Fraser in West Malaysia at the same time last year. But I saw only 26 species, 13 of them new for me. There were two poms there who spent a little more time and saw about 45 species. Highlights were Sunda Treepie, Bornean Whistler, Blue and White and Indigo Flycatcher, White-crowned Forktail and the magnificent Sunda and Chestnut-capped Laughing Thrushes. I saw no Hornbills or Pittas but the the others had one very close to them on the Liwagu Trail.

On the same trail, I managed to pull a hamstring muscle and so had a quiet second day around the accommodation area. Please contact me if you require further information.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia

quotes)