birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI: RAOU history

To: "Hugo Phillipps" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI: RAOU history
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:00:11 +1100
Hello Hugo,
1 & 2 I don't know.
3 was held in Canberra region and accomodation was at I think Ursula College
at ANU. Funny the COG Newsletter for September 1989 talks about it at
Birrigai Oudoor centre near Tidbinbilla . I stayed at home of course. The
four day conference went extremely well. The so called campout was the next
four or so days. Believe it or not, Canberra in September is not always
wonderful weather, with that in mind the organising went for an indoor
campout with daily activities. Unfortunately for those few days, the weather
was not good, raining a lot day and although we had trips out to I think
Tidbinbilla and maybe to some of the well known banding sites. We had some
entertainment with a raptor identification workshop and some discussions. It
went till Thursday but most people left early. I have just checked my old
Gang-gang (COG newsletter, for November 1989), that has a full 2+ pages
write up of the event. BA library should have that.
Just a clarification, if it was the first ARA conference it was actually the
tenth anniversary of the ARA, which was formed at a RAOU scientific day in
Melbourne in 1979.

Philip (I was there)