birding-aus

birding-aus native flora & fauna under fire

Subject: birding-aus native flora & fauna under fire
From: Karina J Mercer <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:46:58 +1030
Regarding idiot decisions made by 'environment' ministers and
politicians, I received this posting from the Democrats site today,
which I receive so I can keep up with the circus of parliament:

The Australian Democrats today mourned the loss of Yumbarra National
Park, one of Australia's most pristine wilderness areas. The upper house
of state parliament voted this afternoon to support a motion that will
allow mineral exploration and then mining in the national park.
"I am outraged that members could approve mining without a proper
biological survey," said Australian Democrats leader, Mike Elliott.
"The so called ?biological survey? that has been introduced through
amendments is a sham. In the amended motion the mining company will be
responsible for funding and reporting on a ?before and after study? that
the company conducts in locations they select. It is no good finding out
what went wrong after it has happened. Even the most diligent and
reputable mining company will be open to suspicion under this
arrangement. Not only should the mining company have contributed
significantly to the costs of a biological survey, but the Environment
Minister should have taken responsibility for a full and proper survey
to be completed before the motion was presented. No-one would trade a
rare piece of art without getting a proper evaluation to see if it is
priceless. Yet that is exactly what the state parliament did today. What

little is known about the park tells us that it is biologically diverse,
perhaps the most diverse in the whole state, and it is clear that the
area contains rare species such as mallee fowl, and possibly the
endangered sandhill dunnart. I urged the government almost two years ago
to carry out full biological survey of Yumbarra, yet they have refused
to act. I have real fears that Yumbarra is the thin edge of the wedge
with the state government also interested in mineral exploration within
a number of other national parks, including the Flinders Ranges National
Park."

Well, well, our wonderful environment minister strikes again. Tell me,
is it just my impression, or could she not give 2c about the environment

in SA. I have yet to hear of anything she has done which is advantageous
to, or promotes positively, the environment of SA. How can a minister
disregard the advice of her own statutory body the Wilderness Advisory
Committee? How can she disregard the biological survey carried out in
1995. As I have read elsewhere, is she really the environment minister
or a de facto minister for mining?  What a joke! Can anyone redeem her
in my eyes, I know sometimes unfriendly decisions must be made, but I
would like to understand this one.