birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI Forest Ravens

To: Glen WHITE <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI Forest Ravens
From: David James <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:52:21 +1000
Glen,

Forest Ravens do occur along the coastal strip in the Anglesea area but are
localised and scarce. It's a few years since i've looked at either
critically but I believe that forest is a little more robust than little,
possibly including the head and bill. However, the difference is subtle.
Unless you're especially familiar with corvids you have to use calls.
Stephen Debus (1995) wrote that the calls of forest are much deeper (bass),
harsh and gravelly "karrr karrr karr" than the higher (barritone) and
clipped "ark ark ark" calls of little.
Check out
Debus, S. 1995. "Crows and Ravens" Wingspan 5(4)38-42.
the section on corvids at the very back (behind the plates) of Slater x3
field guide is not bad.
The sections in Steve Madge et al's field guide to Crows of the world
(Croom Helm) is good.

cheers

At 11:08 10/11/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Can anyone please help me sort out Forest Ravens from the others?
>
>Yesterday at Ironbark Basin Reserve, near Anglsea, Vic I saw and heard a
>group of Little Ravens. I also saw another raven who gave only one short
>call (which I couldn't interpret). It appeared to have a much stouter (and
>possibly shorter) bill than Littles. Might this have been a Forest?
>
>Any help gratefully welcomed.
>
>Glen White
>Melbourne
>
>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
>Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
>quotes)

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre,