birding-aus

RE: birding-aus OCD

To: "'David Parker'" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus OCD
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:10:39 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From:   David Parker [SMTP:
Sent:   Tuesday, November 09, 1999 8:48 AM
Subject:        birding-aus OCD

>Greetings

>OCD (or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Hmmmm what is life in the birding
>world coming to?

>I have subscribed to birding-aus to hear about all the interesting sitings
>which people have made of the bird world, but to date I have been largely
>dissapointed. First off I get to read all about how to cook a turkey and
>then I'm bombarded with 'Twitchathoning' and testosterone charged
>"Twitchers" who find it most important to put a number against the birds
>they have seen. I agree with Chris in that it is fantastic to see such
>rivalry and group spirit. People in search of that illusive bird which might
>just give them that extra record to tip them over the lne to victory. But at
>the end of the day what have we got out of it? An idea of the distribution
>of the species seen, sore eyes, a migrane or two, boosted egos and a
>self-induced tension of hope (hope that we're the winners) Good one!! What
>haven't we got out of it which we might have if we sat and watched a little
>longer. A bit about the behaviour of the bird, maybe its social structure,
>or maybe even its interaction or role in the wider bird community.

I think it's a bit rough of you to assume that the two pastimes are mutually
exclusive. I know for a fact that many, if not most, of the participants in
last week's Twitchathon in Victoria have made big contributions to the
knowledge and conservation of the avifauna of Victoria and other states and, in
some cases, other countries. Why do you begrudge people a bit of fun? I for one
am certainly NOT a 'testosterone charged Twitcher', thanks very much ;-) Not to
mention the fact that last year over $5000 was raised by the event for woodland
bird conservation. Hang around a bit longer - you'll find out all sorts of
great things on Birding-aus. On occasions you'll also get very annoyed, angry
and experience a whole gamut of other emotions. That's life!
cheers,
Susan

Susan Myers
Ph. +61 3 9899 9303