birding-aus

birding-aus Few Pied Imperial-Pigeons

Subject: birding-aus Few Pied Imperial-Pigeons
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 08:24:53 +1000
Hi,
here are 2 more updates from Papua New Guinea (Mike Tarburton)and the
movement of PIPs to Cape York/Australia.

1.
>The birds I am seeing are the torres strait form as they are the ones that
>extend right along the southern coast of New Guinea. Bands from Australia
>have been found over a fairly wide area, but one cannot be sure that these
>are going to Oz as some do stay on the coastal islands.
>
>We rarely see them here, as we are too far inland, but it is my guess that
>these birds are taking a short cut from the south east coast to the Fly
>River area from where they fly to Australia.
>
>The subspecies without the black baring on the vent area is only found in
>the north west of this island.
>
>I am hoping that by being more observant over the next month I will learn
>whether this is a seasonal passage or not.  The sudden increase at the
>moment seemed to correlate with their late arrival in Australia.  I usually
>only see them on the coastal islands near Bootless Bay, where they appear
>all year.
>
>Happy bird watching
>
>Mike

2.
>Last Saturday (31.11.) I noted 20 PIP flying West, and on Sunday 24 going
the same
>way.  Monday I checked in the morning but nothing to see, but there were
>more again in the afternoon.
>
>It appears to be a regular thing at the moment.  I guess birds from the
>south-east coast that want to go to Oz just short cut across here, and it
>takes them until the afternoon to reach here.
>
>This would mean they would be getting to the Gulf by sunset.  I do not know
>if they would fly the Torres Strait in the dark or not.  It would be good
>to have someone in the Strait, particularly at the Lighthouse (Thursday Is,
>I think) where migrants assemble and or crash in misty weather, as one
>would get to know when each species flies (day or night)
>
>Cheers
>

>Mike

Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 1400  INNISFAIL  QLD  4860  Australia
PH.: 07  4065 5181      Fax: 07 4065 5197
Intern. fax: +61  7  4065 5197
Kirrama Home Page   http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama
Birding Web Directory   http://www.ausbird.com

quotes)