birding-aus

Re: birding-aus (Fwd) african impressions.Natal3

Subject: Re: birding-aus (Fwd) african impressions.Natal3
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 23:23:14 +1100
Ros Laundon wrote:

> Dear All,
.Wim Vader.. also touched on a subject that I find interesting........
> ..the gift of describing where a bird is in such a way, that one
> can actually find it, a gift that is quite rare even among professional bird
> guides...
> >
> > Has anyone produced a list of helpful phrases to describe location?
> Regards,
> Ros Laundon.
Re Describing where a bird actually is -
When I used to lead CAE bird classes - best I could do was, to state
first the tree - ie 'Big Red Gum a bit to your right - sapling behind
and to left - follow up to second branch on left - bird about 9 o'clock
out in inner canopy. Look for the yellow feet (for a Bell Miner)'.
  The human eye is very good at estimating 'pie chart' divisons and
everyone should know a clockface. A little practice is required.
   On a beach or lakeshore - use a vertical weed, boat's mast, a nearby
lump of seaweed - something distinctive - before leading the eye to the
right location. You must start with something unmistakable or they may
be as much as 60 degrees out! Remember that different head height can
make a lot of difference - if working with children you might have to
get down on your knees!
  Beginners need a lot of practice in getting binocs between eye and
bird without taking eye off bird.  Practice at home with sparrows and
starlings.
Best of luck, Anthea Fleming in Melbourne
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without
> the
> quotes)

quotes)