birding-aus

birding-aus Around Sydney lately

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Around Sydney lately
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:58:30 +1100
Hi Chatters,

Lately around Sydney I have been seeing some good birds.

In the Royal National Park I saw Beautiful Firetails on two days in two places.  The first was along the first fire trail on the right on the Wattamolla Road.  Here I saw 3 Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens and Southern Emu-wrens feeding young and flushed a Stubble Quail.  The other sighting of Beautiful Firetails were 3 birds at the very first fire trail to a Trig station on the right before the paying in booth as you enter the park from the northern end.

The whole of the Royal NP is jumping at the moment.  I suggest anyone spend time at Wattle Forest and the start of Lady Carrington Drive. I saw Superb Lyrebird 4 times easily. Just along the Lady Carrington Drive going south past the second creek, some birders saw Rock Warbler on the large rock outcrops. We saw Collared Sparrowhawk and Brown Goshawk over the area.

Further afield,  in the Capertee Valley on Friday I saw Regent Honeyeater (adult with not bands on the legs) and Black-chinned Honeyeaters in the flowering eucalypts and mistletoes in the River Oaks at the Glenolan Bridge.  This is on the Glenolan Road off the Glen Alice to Rylstone Road.  At the Glen Alice cemetery, Plum-head Finches were on the roadside fence and appeared to be flying into the centre of the long grass field.  Perhaps they are nesting in there. All the usual good birds like Diamond Firetails and White-browed babblers are about.

On the way back out of the valley we saw Gang Gang Cockatoos feeding on the drupes of Narrow-leafed Geebung (Persoonia linearis)

Good Birding

Trevor & Annie Quested

Sydney, Australia