birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Heard versus seen

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Heard versus seen
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:44:06 +1000
Hi Chris

My position on this is very close to that set out in Chris Lester's posting
the other day.

There is a significant  difference between what are just personal birding
lists of the "I saw this variety" -which we all have, and the record keeping
on a particular day or at a particular place - that we all do as well.

In the latter case, what we are trying to do for record purposes is to
confirm the presence of birds on a day, or at a location - and so long as I
can be certain that the bird is there it doesn't really matter if I see it,
hear it, or smell it! . But, with the emphasis on the certain.

An extreme example often serves to illustrate:  it would be ridiculous to
exclude a kookaburra from a census on the grounds that it was calling from
the top of a distant tree, but we couldn't get a look at it. And does it
then require only a look, a glance? Or is it also necessary to see that
which distinguishes a Laughing Kookaburra from a Blue-winged without regard
to the call? For me, the call can be just a contribution or even the sole
determining factor in making an id - but some discipline must be applied so
that wishful thinking doesn't outstrip experience.

As to the personal life lists - we make our own rules, and then have fun, or
not, talking about them. The only argument in favour of any consistency of
guidelines for personal lists is so that people can compare them - which is
another game entirely.

Bill Jolly
"Abberton", Helidon, Qld

ph  07 46976111