birding-aus

birding-aus Birding Software for Oz

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Birding Software for Oz
From: "Colin Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:28:06 -0400
G'Day Y'all.

First time email (to this esteemed Group) out of Charleston South Carolina from an expat. who still visits the best country in the world every 12 or 18 mths and fits at least one birding trip into each visit.  (August 99 I managed to get in Warrumbungles and Mt. Kaputar and around Gunnedah NSW and then the Border Ranges around Kyogle etc)

As for the 'ticks' debate, maybe we should consider Stars.  * I think I heard it.   ** I definitely heard it    *** I think I saw it when I heard it    ****I definitely heard it and saw it.    *****Wow! Here's one that looks exactly like the photo/drawing in the Field Guide.   = :-)    = :-)

Which brings me to my question and the reason for this letter.  Here in sunny South Carolina, I use Thayer Birding Software (Birds of North America) - which includes everything in a field guide plus sound and video clips and several photos etc. to supplement field guides.  It is excellent. In fact I take my laptop in the car quite often (it also takes diary notes).  This past week, my three field guides all failed to give me a ***** ID for a timid migrating visitor to my backyard.  The video confirmed a female Rose Breasted Grosbeak in less than a minute.  Another 5 Star !!!!!

Question :  Does Win 95/98 software exist for a (CD) field guide to Australian birds?  If so, details please.  Thayer only does a Birds of the World which doesn't cover more than about 20 birds from Down Under.  I have various (battered) Field Guides for Australia, of course.

Colin Clarke