birding-aus

birding-aus Twitchathon fundraising

Subject: birding-aus Twitchathon fundraising
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:35:02 +1100
The Birds Australia Twitchathon this year takes place the weekend after
next 30-31 October.

While this is lots of fun and adventure for the participants, it is also a
serious fundraiser and raises serious money.

Fundraising is for good bird causes determined by each local competition.
(In Victoria we hope to give $1000 to Gluepot and the rest to our various
woodland bird projects; last year these included tree planting and fencing
for Regent Honeyeaters, and financial assistance to students undertaking
research on woodland birds.)

There is a prize for the most successful fundraiser nationally. Local
organizers have been asked to advise Jocelyn Calvert
 by 5 December of the name and postal address of the
person who has raised the most money in their competition - and of course
how much. The money must have been RECEIVED by, not promised to, the local
organiser by 30 November. (I sent this message to Birds Aust groups. I
apologize if the race is organised by someone else in some places - your
racers are still in the competition.)

I have won the prize several times so this is someone's chance to beat me!
I regard the fundraising aspect of the Twitchathon as more important than
the bird race - which is just as well since we win the bird race so very
very rarely. (I am soliciting sponsors, to give challengers a big total to
beat! Our team is called the Very Serious Birdwatchers and we are based in
Geelong.)

The prize is a GPS. It is still worth winning even if you already have one,
you can sell it, give it away for Christmas, donate it to your local Atlas
RO who can use it for atlassers who don't know where they are, or if you
are like me, keep it because sooner or later you will lose the one you are
using. (I have lost 2 already.)

Good luck to racers, thanks in advance to sponsors of all racers.

Margaret
Margaret Cameron                        Phone 03 5229 9792
4 Connor Street                         Fax   03 5229 1520
East Geelong
Victoria 3219                           Editor, Australian Birding Magazine
Australia                               PO Box 2013, Geelong, Victoria 3220
                                        Australia

quotes)