birding-aus

birding-aus Cockatiel

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Cockatiel
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:43:06 +0930
Until several weeks ago I had never recorded Cockatiel in our garden on the outskirts of Murray Bridge (80 km SE of Adelaide).

A single bird flew into the mallee trees near the front of our home. I assumed that this was a cage escape because I was able to approach to within 2 metres without moving too stealthily.

Yesterday, however, a male and female flew around our house for quite a few minutes and were obviously wild birds.

After settling in a large mallee which has several hollows, they began investigating one of the hollows - but were given a  sudden send off by the Starlings which had almost fledged young in the said hollow. I haven't seen the Cockatiels since.

Have other SA birders seen any movements of Cockatiels recently?

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia