birding-aus

birding-aus re.bird ethics

Subject: birding-aus re.bird ethics
From: Bette Mitchell <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:01:03 +1000
I tend to feel rather frustrated with "birdo's" that adopt a high moral
ground on the subject of "twitching"
I believe that anyone who has an interest in birds is naturally going to
want to see new species, particularly in the country that they reside
in.
Twitchers or Listers to use an American term(ugh!) contribute much to
our knowledge of birds and their movements. I can think of some magical
moments in viewing a vagrant in an area where it shouldn't be!
I defy any serious birdo that wouldn't be interested in looking at an
unusual species, given the chance.
Most birdwatchers that I know are seriously into conservation and are
keen to ensure that the birds and other fauna and flora flourish for
posterity.
I think I'd have to draw the line at ticking off dead species!!
I would have my 600 by now instead of having to be content with 578!!
It's all a bit of fun, don't lets get too serious about it.
                                    Bett Mitchell.

quotes)