birding-aus

birding-aus Trip Report : NW Victoria

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Trip Report : NW Victoria
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 21:03:00 +0930
During the period September 26th to Oct 5th I did extensive birdwatching in the NW parts of Victoria, including the Millewa, Sunraysia and Sunset country.

The Millewa is mainly a wheat growing area between Mildura and the SA border, Sunraysia is the fruit growing area around Mildura and Wentworth and the Sunset country is largely uncleared mallee and belah.

These districts cover the area between 34S and 34'30S and between 141'E and 142'20E.

During this time I recorded 120 species, four of which I saw for the first time and many others for only the second or third time.

Many thanks to Barry McLean for advice on places to go.

The species new to me were:

Australian Spotted Crake at Lake Cullulleraine (50 km west of Mildura) and Meridian Lakes (just west of Mildura)

Gull-Billed Tern at lake Cullulleraine

White-Browed Treecreeper throughout the Millewa district where suitable habitat occurred (belah)

White Breasted Woodswallow seen in several locations throughout the region, usually in association with other woodswallows.

I was delighted with the large numbers of  Woodswallows seen almost everywhere. I recorded all species except Little Woodswallow.

Crimson, Orange and White-Fronted Chats were also widely spread but I had to search hard to find the Orange Chats.

Black Kites were seen in many locations, especially along the Sturt Highway between Mildura and Renmark (we also observed a great number of road kills of kangaroo along this hwy)

The Millewa area abounded in parrots, including Budgerigars, Red Rumped Parrots, Mallee Ringnecks, Blue Bonnets, Galahs and a few Cockatiel.

Numbers of Sacred kingfishers were seen throughout the survey area but I only saw one Red-backed kingfisher and that was at the shearers' quarters at the Murray-Sunset NP.

Rainbow Bee-eaters were seen throughout the area but not in great numbers.

I saw Superb, Splendid and Variegated Fairy-Wrens in many different locations but despite trying very hard the White-winged Wrens eluded us.

Honeyeaters were everywhere, but the most recorded were Spiny-cheeked, Singing and White-plumed and Noisy Miners were also abundant. I missed out on the Pied and Black Honeyeaters which had been seen earlier.

White-browed Babblers were common but I only saw Chestnut-crowned Babblers twice (near Wentworth and in Mallanbool Reserve)

Gilbert's Whistler was observed in Yarrara Flora and Fauna Reserve.

Crested Bellbirds and White-Winged Trillers were quite widespread as were Crested Pigeons.

The Millewa district almost seemed to be alive with White-winged Choughs and Apostlebirds were observed at Meringur and breeding in the caravan park at Lake Cullulleraine.

Clamorous Reedwarblers  were heard and often seen wherever reedbeds were seen and Little Grassbirds were also observed in several locations.

Both Brown and Rufous Songlarks were recorded in several places.

Two Banded Lapwings with three young were almost run over on the road to Lock 9 on the Murray River.

Happy Birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia