birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagics

Subject: birding-aus Pelagics
From: David Siems <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:13:15 +1000
 Hi Netters,
            I too have followed with interest the different views on the
pelagics.
            I started 14 years ago on the Wollongong pelagic with the Sandra
K when David Fischer organised them and found on the first pelagic one
simple thing. If you don't know the bird, just ask. Information flows readily.
            On all the numerous pelagics since then, another important
thing, keep your ears open. Although I swot up with my Seabirds of the World
the night before, it is different on the boat when a rare bird goes past at
speed. So I listen to either Tony Palliser, Dion Hobcroft, Peter Milburn and
Alan McBride etc discussing the bird. Sometimes they are lively and you
learn a lot. It is another to remember it.
            The first 6 years I was always sick, but determined to go out
because photography is close to my birding. I tried bananas, different
seasick tablets until I found the right tablet to suit me. I have used up
three camera bodies due to salt in the camera rendering them useless, but I
have a good personel slide album.
            Due to pelagics knocking me about now, I decided to have a
break. Have managed to miss six new birds. So it is a case of putting the
batteries and film in the camera and making a booking. Birders that don't
turn up for no reason I think should pay, as I have missed a pelagic due to
this.
            Thankyou Tony and Peter for your organising. A new bird, on
slide, is still a great thrill.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia