birding-aus

birding-aus Trip Report-Round Hill

Subject: birding-aus Trip Report-Round Hill
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:21:04 +1000
As Nick mentioned I too was at Round Hill, all I have to add to his report
is that while he and Murray were at the Wheatfield I stayed around Whooey
Tank and managed to see a Black-eared Cuckoo, which pleased me greatly.

Round Hill itslef was, as always, very good, but not enormously productive
of birds. There was little flowering, and as the countryside round about
was in such good condition I guess many of the honeyeaters and other birds
that would otherwise be concentrated there had dispersed.

On the way in to Round Hill is the 'patch of lignum' that Nick refers to,
which other people call Chat Alley. Around there I saw a Black Falcon,
Crimson Chats, a glimpse of two Orange Chats, and, a little further on,
some White-fronted Chats as well. On the way out here there was a Singing
Bushlark, as well as innumerable Brown Songlarks.

On the journey up to Round Hill and back again I struck by the number of
birds just to be seen from the car. Many, many companes of Grey-crowned
Babblers; about 250 Superb Parrots (two big flocks in Binalong, and several
medium sized flocks thereafter)?all of the flocks being composed of male
birds; many Blue Bonnets (many more than I have ever seen on this route
before), and ditto Mallee Ringnecks, the first pair of which I saw just
after West Wyalong, the furthest south I have ever seen them.

All in all I think that although the rain may make things difficutl for
birdwatchers it is making it a bumper breeding year for birds in
mid-western NSW.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,