birding-aus

birding-aus Wader days at Toorbul

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Wader days at Toorbul
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:56:42 +1000
Hi all,

There are two more wader days in the next week at the Toorbul roost on the
Pumicestone Passage, Sunshine Coast, Qld.

Thursday, 7th October is a BOPPAS day. The tide will peak at Toorbul just
before 9am. Meeting time is 8.30am at the roost, but it wouldn't hurt to
get there earlier. The high tide, at 1.96m, means the birds are likely to
remain on the roost throughout the high tide. Over 2m knocks then birds off
the roost.

Sunday, 10th October is a QWSG Day. The tide will peak at about 10.50am.
Being a 2.19m high, it is probable that the birds will fly off to Dux Creek
around 10.30am, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get there by 9am, or earlier.

We had a wader day at Toorbul yesterday, organised by the SunCoast Bird
Observers' Group. Linda Cross did the head count, but I guess there were
more than 2000 birds there, all very close by the cars for easy viewing.
Just about every possible species was represented, a pretty good range.
Gloria Glass came all the way from near Toowoomba, and it was great to meet
face to face with another birding-aus name. That's why I'm doing this
posting. Maybe there are more people in the wider area who would like to
learn more about waders. If so, there are plenty of willing teachers. Just
turn up and put up your hand for help. There are usually plenty of scopes
to ensure everyone gets a good look.

If anyone wants directions on getting to Toorbul, give me a ring on (07)
54940994. I won't post Linda's number, as she might not appreciate it, but
she and Phil are the QWSG leaders next Sunday. Jean Corney organises the
BOPPAS days.

Cheers,

Jill

PS:
QWSG: Qld Wader Study Group
BOPPAS: Bird Observers of Pumicestone Passage and Surrounds. Honestly! It's
an interest group of BIEPA - Bribie Island Environmental Protection Assn.

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld

26º 51'         152º 56'

quotes)