birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Spring migrants

To: Andrew Taylor <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Spring migrants
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:03:40 +1000

>What I find odd, is I usually hear the first Koel here (Glebe in the
>centre of Sydney) in the last week of September or the first week
>in October, but until November I hear only calls every few days.
>During November I hear Koels multiple times per day.
>
>Now this is just casual local observation and non-calling Koels are less
>than conspicuous, but seemingly some Koels arrive 4+ weeks ahead of the
>bulk of the migration.
>
>My idle theory is that perhaps early arrivals come from a different
>wintering location.
>
>There seems to anyone know of real data on Koel calling frequency through
>September-December or other indications of their abundance?

Andrew,

I didn't have time to respond in full this morning when I thanked you
online. There is another possibility about the isolated calls of the Koel,
and that is that at first you might perhaps be hearing Koels still on
passage - they might move on from your area to points further south, and
you might be hearing the calls of several birds over a period of time
during migration. I don't know where the migration route is most dense, but
your area might lie along it. Just a thought. Your theory might also have
merit.

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld