birding-aus

birding-aus Owlet-Nightjar, Forest Raven, John Starks

Subject: birding-aus Owlet-Nightjar, Forest Raven, John Starks
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:17:14 +1000
Hi All,

Hope I am not pushing it wish RFIs, but here goes. I am after info
regarding good sites around geelong/melbourne for that ever
possible, always heard, but never actually seen, bird the Owlet-
Nightjar. It remains a constant 'what could have been' bird for me
and I would dearly love to finally see one after all this time. Any
suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Also, Forest Raven sites in and around Geelong, what is the story
with this species on the mainland? Saw a very short-tailed, heavy-
set and heavy billed raven in my backyard (at least for the time
being) in Geelong yesterday. The call was similiar to a Little Raven
but tended to 'roll' along a bit more and seemed longer than the
Little Ravens I am used to hearing at the Western Treatment plant.
It was definitely not an Australian Raven. Am I right in suspecting a
Forest Raven or is this just wishful thinking???

I have also been seeing a few Orange-belled Parrots at Werribee
that have been banded. I have tried to e-mail Peter Menkhorst but
my address has failed. Does anyone have the e-mail/phone number
of John Starks so I can report a few sightings?

Hope someone out there in BA land can help, I apologise for the
typing, I am a former St George and Illawarra resident who has
drowned their sorrows in VB, ohh what could have been!

Happy Birding all, and as I always say, check those Brown
Falcons for colour bands!,
Paul McDonald
Paul McDonald
Division of Botany and Zoology