birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI British Birds

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI British Birds
From: "Timothy Nye Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:15:09 +1000
> Could one of our UK corespondents, or anyone else, please give me the
> address, and if possible the e-mail address, for the UK magazine British
> Birds?
> Thanks
> John Leonard

The publishing details for British birds is London,
Witherby & Co. In 1917 it was absorbed by the Zoologist
(and continues in part: Zoologist.) Their web address is
http://www.witherbys.com/. Email:

(I assume these details are correct - however lease note
the message below.)

The ISSN is 0007-0335.

In the ACT British journal is held at the National Library
of Australia:

    * Vol.1,no.1(June 1907)-v.30,no.2(July 1936) imperfect,
    located GMM B1853-54 v.67, no.1 (Jan.1974) - v.80,
    no.12 (Dec.1987), imperfect, located at S 598.942 BRI *

Or at the CSIRO. Division of Wildlife and Ecology :(Div of
Wildlife and Ecology (CSIRO) Gungahlin). The contact
details are "Gungahlin" Cnr Barton Hghwy & Bellenden St
Gungahlin ACT 2602. GPO Box 284 Canberra ACT 2601

   * v.1- 1907- P 598.2 Br

See following message for further information:

"British Birds is a monthly journal that has become an
institution. It was founded in 1907 by the very
distinguished ornithologist H. F. Witherby whose family
owned a publishing house.

British Birds is now published by 'a non-profit-making
company for the benefit of ornithology'. Its records go back
to 1843 as it incorporates the old journal The Zoologist. It
includes papers, letters, notes, recent reports,
competitions, reviews etc. The magazine also hosts the
national Rarities Committed and has regular reports from
this, from the Rare Birds Breeding Panel and from its
extensive network of correspondents Europe-wide.

It often contains stunning photos and runs a competition
annually for them and also for black-and-white drawings. The
editor is Tim Sharrock and Erika Sharrock manages
subscriptions, back numbers and advertising. The address is
Fountains, Park Lane, Blunham, Bedford MK17 3NJ. The numbers
are +44 1767 640025 (phone or fax) editorial or +44 1767
640467 (phone) and +44 1767 640025 business.

Erika will send you a sample copy if you are interested.
Personal subscriptions (12 copies and index) cost from
£43.20. There are special discounts for all sorts of people
who are members of other organisations - Erika will send you
a list."

All the best,

Tim

Tim Dolby
Product Manager
RMIT Publishing - incorporating Informit
RMIT University
Phone: (03) 9341 3271 FAX: (03) 9349 4583
http://www.informit.com.au
http://www.rmitpublishing.com.au

quotes)