birding-aus

birding-aus Whipstick weekend

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Whipstick weekend
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:05:56 +1000
G'day all,
I thought that some of you may be following Jun Matsui's progress around
O-sutorariya (Australia) so here's our report from last weekend:
Stuart Dashper, Scott & Cecilia Chandry, Doug Futuyma (visitor from US), Jun
Matsui and I headed off to the Whipstick National Park (north of Bendigo - the
big city smack bang in the middle of Vic). This is one of our favourite places
consisting of box-ironbark forest interspersed with large areas of mallee. We
camped in an area of mown mallee that is dripping with really good birds. That
night we spent an hour or so spotlighting & listening to Spotted Nightjars - a
real treat! New for Jun & Doug. In the morning we recorded lots of really good
birds that were new for both Jun & Doug. These included Shy Hylacola, Crested
Bellbird, Gilbert's Whistler, Yellow Thornbill, Brush Bronzewing, White-browed
Babbler, Chestnut-rumped Hylacola (heard only), Red-capped Robin, Varied
Sitella, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, Painted
Button-quail, Variegated Fairy-wren and lots lots more! A search for Swift
Parrots in a couple of spots recommended by Simon Kennedy was unsu!
ccessful. Missed them by that much...
Apart from missing our rendezvous with Chris Lester, Richard Nowotny et al (who
rather rudely saw a Spotted Quail-thrush) on Sunday morning we had an excellent
weekend's birding - not to mention absolutely magnificent weather. I can
forward a full list for anyone interested, just drop me an email.
cheers (yoroshiku),
Susan

Susan Myers

quotes)