birding-aus

birding-aus Blackbird Mimickry

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Blackbird Mimickry
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:19:16 +1000
I have been hearing a male European Blackbird the last few days producing perfect mimicry of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo's. It has fooled me a couple of times. I was unaware before that Blackbirds do so, but suppose there are many other species that we have never though of that can mimic other species. I have often heard Olive-backed Orioles mimicking White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes. During the 1994 drought, White-browed Woodswallows mimicking Cockatiels and Striped Honeyeaters in Sydney. I have also heard Common Starlings mimic Bell Miners in Bathurst (central NSW), well away from any Bell Miner colony. Yellow-throated Scrubwrens can also mimic an extraordinary number of species like that of Superb Lyrebirds, and have heard one mimic Logrunners, Eastern Spinebills, Satin Bowerbirds, Grey Shrike-thrush etc all in one performance.

Edwin