birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Hazards of birdwatching

Subject: Re: birding-aus Hazards of birdwatching
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 00:35:59 PDT
Gooday all,
Reading about some of the hazards of birdwatching reminded me of the incident that occured to me on Muralug (Prince of Wales Is.) in the Torres Strait, Queensland back in the early 80's. I had been travelling on a three-wheeler when I spotted some pigs with suckers so took off for the chase across some grassy, slightly wooded flat near the Homestead waterhole. After losing the pigs I was returning to the track and the 3 wheeler when I spotted some martins and swiftlets over a nearby hill. Meanwhile totally engrossed in what was happening skyward and shuffling around between the trees with eyes upward trying to get a clear view when suddenly a whip like action went around my legs. Peering downwards along my airborne body I sighted a long slender brown snake wrapped a couple of times around my legs. While still airborne the snake relaxed and fell to the ground and slithered off leaving a stunned birdo with an adrenalin fix gasping for a breath with added gray hairs at no extra cost. When I got back home I was telling Nauma about the incident, not wanting to cause my wife any concern. His reply "Oh yea, that'll be the Whipsnake they come at all those tricks". No luck with the Swiftlets as they were the last thing on my mind after the meeting.

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
Queensland Australia 4805