birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Hazards of birdwatching

To: "Trevor Hampel" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Hazards of birdwatching
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 01:16:48 +1000
Yes and just over two years ago (31-8-1997) I was bitten by a large (I believe), Mulga Snake at Lake Coolmunda, between Goondiwindi Qld and whatever comes next (going west). It was perfectly camouflaged and I stood on it without even noticing it until I felt and saw the wild thrashing and then the thump on my foot as I was temporarily airborne. I was watching Apostlebirds (or was it White-winged Fairy-wrens) at the time. Sure gave all concerned a big scare.  Fortunately it latched onto the padding at the top of my shoe and hung on there long enough for me to get one of those frozen image pictures of a fairly quick event that seems to last for ages. 1 cm higher and I would have been in real trouble.